Meatballs - A Simple Recipe

Making meatballs is one of life's simple pleasures. I remember when my grandma used to make them....loads of them with minced pork, hydrated shiitake mushrooms, shallots, garlic, a little soy sauce and rice wine among other ingredients. She would also add egg whites. She said this makes the meatballs light. I can gobble up at least a dozen of these meatballs by myself. She would put these into soups, fry them up and - my favorite - with some garlic, wilted cabbage and chicken stock, something like a cross between a soup and a vegetable dish with scrambled egg sauce.

It's strange that being someone with a Chinese background, I hardly cook anything Chinese at home. It's not because I doubt my skill or taste but perhaps I always wanted to explore different tastes. Surely, there are a million different food combinations and sensations out there waiting for me to try!

There are a few "techniques" that I took into making this meatball recipe. Firstly, it has to be a combination of beef and pork mince. I added 2 egg whites, garlic powder, chili flakes, parsley, pepper, oregano, paprika, and cumin. Mixing this together can be tricky. I read to not overwork the mixture, similar to making muffins. I used a fork to lightly move it around the bowl. I used a 1/4 cup scoop and seared them on a hot pan. Next, I poured half a bottle of passata and let that simmer slowly for 30 mins. The result was really light meatballs - almost like burgers - tender and succulent. Improvements next time would be to add worcestershire sauce and caramelized onions.


Comments