My First Time @ Pei Modern

They say that the first time is the most memorable. I will always remember the first time I've ever cooked and had foie gras. Or where I had my first bite of one of the best steaks in town. Or my first macaron. Just when I thought I'd be running out of "firsts", then along came Pei Modern.

The first time I was there, I just had drinks, winding down before going into Kino. The movie I watched was "Silver Linings Playbook" and it was honest to goodness funny. It was my first Stinger Royale too. I really like my Manhattans but at Pei Modern, this is what I'll always be having as long as its on the menu. Since the drinks were good, I'm pretty sure the food will be good, right? I was wrong. The food here is great.

I always thought that Melbourne will run out of restaurants that serve food like this. But I'm glad that the city always surprises me with delicious dishes like these...

Ocean Trout, Burnt Butter Emulsion - Fish and butter. Need I say more? Firm. Fresh. Crunchy. Nutty, velvety emulsion.

Free Range Pork from the Grill with Blackberries and Radicchio - If you like sticky pork buns, this is for you. Delicate. Sweet. Juicy.


Tomato with Twelve Flavors, a side of ice cream - We all know that tomato is a fruit but this was actually the first time I've seen tomato being treated like a fruit...on a dessert plate. The flesh of the tomato tasted like candied jelly and it still held it's shape. Inside was stuffed with nuts and dried fruits. It was so good, it made me wish I had an extra stomach.


Comments