Dorie Greenspan's Coconut Tea Cake

I haven't been diligent in updating my blog lately. And with a bit of inspiration again, I think it's about time to start over. 

Almost 5 years back, I bought Dorie Greenspan's baking book, Baking from my home to Yours. I remembered the first recipe I tried from it, it's a cookie with a heavenly combination of peanut butter, oatmeal and chocolate chips. When family started requesting me to make this every week, I knew I've struck gold.

When my sister came to visit me last Christmas, this was the book that I asked them to bring over with them, leaving a lot of them back in my box in Manila. This baking book is all that I've been thinking about and I'm sure that I'll be making more treats from this book.

There is really no trick to baking. Just follow the exact measurements and you'll be fine. Sometimes of course this can vary, along with your oven's temperature and it takes some trial and error. You have to be familiar with your kitchen, kitchen gadgets and kitchen skills. But everyone knows that.

I'm not a fan of coconut. From where I came from, it's nothing special since it's sold every day of the year. I do fondly remember during Christmas and New Year when one of my aunts will make her fresh coconut salad with canned fruits and cream. I always associated coconut to sweet things - desserts like custards and pies. When I saw Dorie's recipe on Coconut Tea Cake. I wasn't all that thrilled but the ingredients and steps were so easy that I simply can't pass the opportunity to make it one weekend.

The results are perfect. It's picture perfect too. It contains shredded coconut and coconut milk. And I really think that the coconut milk makes it. It has the right consistency of a tea cake too and I often have it with a cup of earl grey.

The picture below was from my Instagram account, one that I've taken a few months back. I posted this on Facebook and got, I think, the most number of "likes" since I made some forgettable "smartish" comment that I can't even recall now.



Comments