Warm Retreats @ Mixed Business, Clifton Hill

What's really interesting about Mixed Business is the location. Tucked almost underneath the train line, you'll notice a queue of hungry locals waiting for seats. That's the good part. The part that sucks is if the weather decided not to cooperate and you and your mates are standing outside in the cold. Although, if you're with good company, that's always a plus and all will be forgiven, as long as the establishment promises good coffee and food. In this case, that's what Mixed Business is all about.

P and D decided to order hot chocolates since the cold weather called for it, I was fixed on the coffee. Brunching out, we have this standard for good and bad coffee. Ludo - good, Annoying Brother - amazing. Ludo is always the middle ground, so anything above it will be in between Ludo and AB. So far, I haven't had anything close to AB yet, but as we know, the best is yet to come. Back to Mixed Biz - coffee is in the in between.

As a note, I only take pictures of what I ate, just to remind me that what I've had before so that I'll try to get something else next time. For this trip, I had poached eggs on toast with minute fillet steak, grilled mushrooms and a side salad. It's good enough for lunch, it's an open steak sandwich but all the elements are perfectly flavored and salted. Nothing too pronounced, nothing too unbearable. It's just right.



Looking around while waiting for our food, I noticed that they have a nice display of small cakes and sweet bars - lemon meringue, carrot cake, sticky date and pistachio, chocolate brownies (that looked like chocolate bars!) just to name a few. Will be back for more.

Comments