Tasting Charlotte @ Uptown and South End, Charlotte North Carolina




Coming to Charlotte is not really an exciting idea for me. When one of my colleagues heard that I'm coming to Charlotte, his first reaction was: "What's to see there?" I'm more interested, however, with the food that the city has to offer.



Midnight Diner: My first week here was not significant, food-wise. I arrived late at night and I was famished. I walked towards the city centre but I know that because I was too tired, I won't be able to get there in time for something decent to eat. As I turned into the corner of Bland and E Carson, there's the Midnight Diner. My first time there, the staff was courteous and obviously, wanted to ask me: "Are you lost?". Because I was starving, I ordered something quickly to go: Fried Chicken, mac and cheese and fried green beans. To be honest, it wasn't bad at all. In fact, I went there the second time and ordered Shrimp and Grits. For my first Shrimp and Grits, it wasn't bad. It was creamy, rich and flavourful. I was scooping up all the grainy grits and wanted to wash my face in it! Even though the shrimps weren't fresh enough, at least they were pearly and not soggy.



Amelie's...A French Bakery: I learned to love French food even more while I was in Melbourne and I've scowered the city for the best croissants. When I first read about Amelie's I knew that I might be on to something. If there is somewhere that can serve up a good croisstant, Charlotte is saved. Another thing that I have to mention, I've never had good coffee while I'm here so I'm glad that Amelie's can make some good coffee. Croissant-wise, it's just average.


Sauceman's: One of my colleagues recommended this place, saying that this was where she had the best bbq pork. I left early from work one day and walked from S College to Sauceman's. This is approximately 6blocks away from where I'm staying. The place was empty and almost everything was sold out, except chicken, turkey and one rack of ribs. Of course, I have to have the ribs. Walking back, I was hoping that it's really worth all that fuss. And to be honest, it's just average. The ribs weren't mind blowing and I find the sauce too sweet for my taste. Maybe this is the way ribs are prepared here in the south, with molasses, brown sugar and ketchup, among other things. I also had mac and cheese and mayo based coleslaw on the side.



The Common Market: I went to Yelp and browsed through what's really good here in Charlotte and this name came up. I walked passed this one as I was walking towards Sauceman's so figured that I'd give it a try. I had the Reuben panini and planned on getting a cider. I walked up to the counter to pay and the lady refused to sell me the cider, asking for my ID. I didn't have any on me. Obviously, I'm over 21 but she insisted that I don't look like I'm over 21. I didn't know whether to be happy or frustrated about it because I really wanted a cider with my sandwich! I left defeated back to my apartment. Here's the deal: the Reuben panini was SO-DAMN-GOOD. It was layered with pastrami, saeurkraut, cheese and wholegrain mustard. So simple, yet oh so tasty. Arguably, the best sandwich I've had. My disappointment with not having cider with it was forgotten.

Comments