SAZL Sweats: Tarte Tatins

I had some left over puff pastry in the freezer and don't really know what to do with it. My eyes floated to the table and what have I got? An orange and an apple. Sounds like your average school girl snack or lunch box.
After spending one day browsing through cookbooks and Donna Hay magazines, I learned something simple and special: tarte tatin. It's a French classic and who doesn't like that? I didn't hit it hard on the caramel because I didn't want it to be too sweet, plus, I only have an apple.
I pulled out my last sheet of puff pastry to thaw. Just one apple, I cored, peeled and sliced it not too thinly, because I still want the texture from the apple, not mushed up baby food. I placed them in a saucepan, placed 50g of softened butter and 30g of white sugar with 1tsp cinnamon powder. Brown sugar or honey can also be used. Over medium-heat, dissolve the sugar while the butter is heating up. The sliced apples should still be a bit firm. A nice brown caramel should be the result from the mix. Btw, I used a pink lady apple for this. Line the cooked, caramelized apples along the puff pastry, place them on a baking tray. 180C for 15-20mins til they are nice and puffed up.
Once out from the oven, you can place a dollop of vanilla ice cream or cream on top while it's still warm. Yum!

Comments