The Luscious Mexican @ The Table, Fitzroy Street, St Kilda

We're all going through a food-poisoning phase these days but that wouldn't stop us from paying a visit to The Table at St Kilda. Ever since I've read about this place, it stuck in my head and I knew that I have to try this place. I know that currently, Mamasitas reigns supreme over modern Mexican food and admittedly, it's true. With the range of alcohol and food over there, no wonder that place is always swamped...but I digress...
The moment PG and I stepped in, he immediately noticed that there are Tequila tastings posted on the board. Imagine a restaurant that instead of posting their dinner specials, they post Tequila tastings, that's my kind of place. We arrived early and I instantly liked the big and small clouds of light fixtures. It gave the room a nice dusty feel, almost as if you're under the stars, only that the sun is just setting.
I had their Blood Orange and Ginger Caipairinha, which was fantastic. The ginger was grated fresh and it packed a punch. The only problem was consistency. I ordered another one, and it didn't taste the same. It was sweeter and the punch was gone. Well, needless to say they need to train their bartender better.
PG and I shared a plate of Nachos with prawns, crabmeat, avocado, salsa and manchego cheese. It was yummy and oh, so tasty. I noticed that the prawns and crabmeat were juicy and sweet and it worked so well with the avocado and salsa. Nothing overpowering or too salty about it. Thumbs up!
We decided not to get mains, so I had the Confit Duck and Pomegranate Tamales. I'm not sure how to rate this dish. It wasn't unpleasant and the combinations worked well on their favor. I wasn't expecting the tamales to come in logs instead of them wrapped up like the traditional ones.
I absolutely loved the dessert of Valrhona flourless chocolate with chilli spiked almond praline. It reminded me so much of the spiced chocolate pudding at Portello Rosso that I almost wished they served this up as a pudding. It also came with a scoop of smooth vanilla ice cream. I placed a small dollop of this on top of the cake and it was umami.
Will definitely come back for the Tequila tastings :)

The Table Restaurant on Urbanspoon

Comments