Belated Birthday Dinner @ No 35, Sofitel Hotel, Melbourne

I decided to celebrate my birthday later in the week. Maybe celebrating your birthday not on the exact day means something, but not to me. It's just an excuse to dress up and eat out at some place different. And this time, it's at No 35.
The night started off at the Atrium 35 for drinks. I absolutely love the interiors, with its liquid glassy walls and endless waves of shimmering textile hanging above us. It made it look like the sky was made from gold. After an hour or so, it's time to head to No 35. Two reasons for choosing this restaurant: it has a Chef's hat and there's a view to die for.
I wasn't expecting to have dinner this complex. To be honest, I haven't had something this upscale for a while since Jacques Reymond. My entree was a feast for the eyes. When it was served, I gasped with delight. It was picture perfect. Basically, it's slow cooked salmon, with porcini and parsnips. I think there's also celeriac pureƩ in there. But the combination was just spot on. I can imagine this with another rich fish like seabass or cod.
Main dish was wild barramundi with potatoes and pork croquette. The pork croquette was just lovely and crispy. I didn't think it worked well with the rest of the dish but it was the tastiest thing on the plate.
I had the Coco Bongo tea with has a coconut and mango flavor. I'm not a fan of scented fruit teas, especially coconut, but this black tea was delicious. Dessert is a warm carrot and walnut cake. Imagine my delight when it came with a Happy Birthday message on the plate! :) I know it's nothing extravagant but it just made the night memorable and special.
No 35 is not a place where you would have dinner every night but for special occasions, you can be sure to impress that special someone with this choice.

Comments