Minor Sweets @ Chez Dré, Coventry St, South Melbourne

I went through my usual market walk today. After getting my food for a week (nothing exciting, just sweet potatoes, chicken breasts, chorizo sausages, shaved ham, veggies and some fruits), I remembered reading a review on The Age Epicure about Chez Dré, the new kid on the Coventry St block. It's been long since there's a new place around there, and I'm glad that there's a new place for market shoppers to hang out.
I was shocked when a place that huge was packed, which is maybe a good sign. I really wanted to eat something but since I found it hard to look for a spot, even at the communal table, I decided to just skip the entire hassle and grab something off the counter. There wasn't much, so I asked for suggestions, which someone gladly helped me with. I chose a plain croissant, salted caramel eclair and fig and lemon macaron.
The verdict is that I loved the macaron. Probably not Luxbite love but the flavors worked well. The fig jam is probably too sweet for the lemon flavor but still, it can be improved.
Now, the salted caramel eclair is just lovely. It's the best eclair I've had by far out of all the afternoon tiffins. Will be back for more desserts.
I also ordered a coffee to go, which is also good. Not the best coffee (compared to St Ali), but promising. While I was waiting for my coffee, I was looking around and noticing a lot of unsatisfied customers. Some were waiting for the menu, for food, for coffee. Ok, not a good sign. Considering that this is a new joint, good to give them a chance to improve on their service or come EARLY (argh...) then I can have their Croque Monsieur! =D
Chez Dré on Urbanspoon

Comments