Macaron Tiffin @ Aria, The Langham Hotel, Melbourne

I managed to convince PG and MH to come with me to the Langham for afternoon tea. Mission: Hisako Ogita's macarons. Yes, ladies and gents! She's in town for the Melbourne Food and Wine Festival. It was actually my first time to have afternoon tea at Aria and I have to say that this place is way nicer than the afternoon tea at the Hotel Windsor and at par with The Tea Room at NGV.

The setting of the lounge is opulent and intimate. I love the gold leaf trimmed lamp shades, the plush velvety sofas and the silver. MH had chai latte, PG had the Well Being tea and I had the White Rose tea. Now, on to the tiffin.

We started from the bottom-tier up to the sweets. The sandwiches were nice. They have your usual cucumber sandwich, egg sandwich and tuna sandwich. I liked the ones with the white bread better than the whole grain ones.
The scones were nice and warm. Crumbly and very buttery, just the way I like it. Smother it with a layer of raspbery jam and clotted cream on top. Bliss.
By the time we had the sweets, we were almost full. We weren't able to finish the top tier. I just had a chocolate coated strawberry and a fruit tart. PG and MH weren't too impressed with the eclair, so I skipped it entirely.

Now, the moment of truth, the macarons. There were three flavors: green tea, pink ginger and chocolate. I liked the pink ginger the best. Texture-wise, the three macarons I had were inconsistent. I think the pink ginger was the best because of the taste and the texture of the macaron. It doesn't have a crunchy top that when you bite into it, it was airy inside (that's what happened to the green tea when I bit into it). The chocolate macaron was too crumbly. Of all the macarons I had, these are the least sweet of all. Sweetest would be from Luxbite (but it depends on the flavor).

Comments