Moroccan Night Out @ LaPaella, Sydney Rd, Brunswick

I'll start with this. Whenever there's an opportunity to try something new, always go for it. I have to admit that something new is always appealing to me. But of course, there has to be a limit. PG always talked about this dish that he had at a Moroccan restaurant while he was still in the US. It's chicken in filo pastry and drizzled with honey. Yes, it's both sweet and savory. Being Asian, that taste sensation is not totally new to me but still, it is appealing. I'm sure that the Moroccans have something that I want to try. So some research is required.

That night, EB came with us as well. He's from around that region, so he knows a lot than we do with this kind of food. During the course of our meal, he actually told us that this is his type of food, food that he can eat everyday. And I have to agree that this is wholesome, comfort food. Food on a rainy day, food when you tripped and fell on the curb and you run home crying to mom, and she whips up something like this to calm you down (and wipe those tears away).

I was actually surprised when I entered La Paella. I immediately thought: this is not my place. There were certain pieces in the restaurant that I love. The comfy sofas, the colorful tiled tables and tinted lamps. Maybe, this is how it feels to be in Morocco. The place has a strange feel and smell to it. It feels old but then again, I haven't ever been in a place like this before. It's a bit shady but there is a certain familiarity that I can't place.

EntreƩ: Bastilla. Sweet chicken and almonds wrapped in filo pastry and fried, dusted with powdered sugar. The verdict? Delish. Yes, really. The raw almonds are crushed into a certain consistency that's not too overwhelmingly marzipan-like. There is still texture in it. It's still savory enough to not be classified as a dessert. The small bowl on the lower left side is called Harissa. It's a chilli sauce that is served a bit chilled. It's watery and nutty. And I got addicted over it when they served the freshly baked bread with it. I just couldn't stop!

EB had the Lamb Shank below. And yes, the meat was sooo tender, it's falling off the bone. I'm not too crazy about the sauce, though. It's a bit spicy but not enough to capture my enthusiasm. Admittedly, it's a clean dish. Well-prepared but I could use a touch more salt into this.

Beef Tagine. If there's one dish you HAVE to try, this is it. Sweetly spiked with cinnamon, prunes and almonds (which are still a bit raw for my taste but did not affect the flavor whatsoever), the beef chunks in this dish were just soo tender and luscious, it's like sinking into a lush, velvety plush sofa. Amazingly good. The sauce was just rich and vibrant. There's nothing shy about it at all.
We also had the almond pastry for dessert, which was just ok, with black Moroccan coffee with cinnamon and cloves. The coffee came with an almond biscuit. I liked the biscuit more than the actual almond dessert. A good way to complete the night.


La Paella Moroccan and Spanish on Urbanspoon

Comments