Brunch on a Rainy Day @ De Clieu, Gertrude Street

It started to rain about 9am and it didn't stop. I'm glad thar PG didn't bail because I'm hungry and he's hungry. I was telling PG about some possible brunch places that I'd like to try and among them was De Clieu. Another promising option is Pope Joan but we'll save it for another (sunnier) day.

I was surprised to walk through a sliding door into the café. Impressive. What's more impressive is how nicely clean-cut and edgy the place is. It fitted right into the hippie Gertrude Street area. I absolutely loved the lights all lined up neatly over each table. It reminds me of a vague shaping light (like a space craft) hovering over planet earth but I digress.
Coffee is one of the best on this side of Gertrude Street. I could have ordered another and another. I had the Spring onion roti, pork neck and fried egg with barbeque sauce. The roti reminded me of a pie in Manila that I used to have with red bean paste inside it, it is my grandfather's favorite, instead, this one is made with thinly sliced spring onions inside. There were generous rounds of pork neck slices, they were tender and tasted a lot like barbeque pork, probably sweeter. Overall, the dish was more sweet than savory. If you like a savory breakfast, this is probably not a good option.

Comments