SAZL Sweats: Pork Medallions with Apple and Cider Sauce

I haven't really "sweated" for a while since I've been back. The most recent cookbook I bought is from Serge Dansreau called French Kitchen. There are so many good recipes to try out from this book. One of which is the Chicken Confit with Fennel and Olives, which I think will take 2 days to do but I'm sure will be sooo worth it. Ok. Back to my story.

I've been crazy over Bulmer's Pear Cider ever since I saw it from Donna Hay's magazine. Now that I think it's out of season, and now, I got hooked with Bulmer's apple cider.

The recipe is pretty straight forward to do and ingredients are direct to the point. Not a lot of chopping required, too. Yea, you can make this pretty much every week, if your waistline can handle the cream :)

I almost followed the recipe to the letter, except that I estimated my ingredients since I just wanted to make 2 serves out of it. First, 2 apples, peeled, deseeded and quartered. Heat a pan with olive oil and butter, slightly fry the apples. When slightly browned, sprinkle some white sugar to caramelize the apples. Remove to a plate.

Pour apple cider into the pan, maybe 150mls, and reduce by half. Set aside. Wipe the pan clean and heat butter. Dust seasoned (with salt and pepper) pork medallions (I used lean pork cutlets)with flour and fry in the heated pan with butter, 4 minutes on each side. Set aside.

Wipe the pan clean. Pour the reduced cider, cream and chopped sage (about a handful), season with salt and pepper and simmer. Add the pork back to the pan and simmer for 5minutes in the sauce. Lastly, add the apples back in, simmer before serving.
Here's a picture of the final stage of simmering...
And before I enjoy the dish...

Overall, it's yummy. I have to say that I never really had a dish where the main herb is just sage. So pork, apples and sage = good. I'll make it again but I'll caramelize the apples more. Maybe use brown sugar the next time.

Comments