Familiar Tastes @ Bourke and Collins Streets, Melbourne CBD

A friend bailed for brunch so I ended up waking early with nothing to do. I could have gone to brunch by myself anyway but couldn't be bothered. I didn't want to waste a fine day for sure. It's 30 degrees out and I've been itching for summer all year long.
So, my day started with a trip to the South Melbourne Market. What the hell? I needed food anyway. I got Philippa's sourdough bread, some shaved ham, ground coffee beans from Padré (which is just amazing, by the way) and some fruits. I realized that I wanted to make that French dish with pork and apples so I also got me some of that and sage. Ok. All set. I'm not leaving the market without eating something. It's peach season, everybody! Peaches, nectarines, more peaches and apricots. I haven't had fresh apricots before so I tried some today. I simply loved these babies! They're plump and not sickeningly sweet. Well, I think most people preferred them dried to enhance the fruit's sweetness more but I just like them as they are. Another new thing that caught my eye is Organic Donuts from Fritz Gelato. The other good thing about it, probably besides being organic that they make it right on the spot! I ordered one Cinnamon flavored organic donut and, how can I say this? It made my day....Ok, ok, it's not the best and perfect donut but....! I never had a fresh one before so this was really some treat. I kept licking the cinnamon sugar-y goodness off my fingertips! Yum oh yum! Apologies, no pictures from my South Melbourne market trip. Next time, I promise....
Ok, so back to the topic at hand. Everyone knows that Chinese new year is just around the corner. Understand that most of the people I work with in the office are either: A. Indians or B. Asians. So yea, it's kind of a big deal :) I decided to spread some good cheer and give red pockets out this year. Well, of course, it will be restriced to friends who have kids, which is just two people. LOL. Walking around Chinatown is not really a huge chore, I quickly got some red pockets (with adorable My Melody cartoons). Aside from some picture taking and some more walking, my tummy started rumbling. I really didn't want to sit down and eat somewhere in Chinatown. I finally thought of heading over to Pacific BBQ and getting my usual Roast Duck with Dry Noodles. I can't begin to tell you how much I missed this dish. I've been around town eating roast duck but still, I liked this one just because...well...just because.
Another craving I had today is for something sweet, and when I say something, I mean, anything! The Greek Precinct sits comfortably beside Pacific BBQ so I went to International Cakes to get myself a sweet Walnut Tart. I had this one with my freshly brewed Padré coffee. I was in heaven....
And now, here I am...idling away at the park...blogging...the day is not yet over...enjoy the rest of your day :)

Comments