Coffee, Milk and Tea @ St Ali, South Melbourne

Original plan: BBQ @ DG's place. Lazy plan: Brunch @ St Ali with WL. Given that we get a one day break from the hectic work week, how would you like to spend it? I'm torn. But in the end, the one with the best coffee wins. I've heard so much about St Ali that sometimes I think, is it too overrated? I checked Google and it has over 200 reviews!

There was a fairly long wait when WL and I got to St Ali -- around 30-35 minutes. Ok, cool. We walked across the street and saw this quaint independent gallery. It currently displays old works from a photographer. He took pictures of artists such as U2, Red Hot Chilli Pepper, Faye Dunaway, all in black and white. Pretty neat stuff. In the end, we decided to wait outside the cafe, so that we won't miss it when we finally get a table.

Inside wasn't as cozy as I expected. True that it has high ceilings but there's something missing. It was too....raw. Not sure if that's the right way to put it but it seems to me that the place was half finished and the bad spots covered by coffee bean bags. Interiors aside, the service was immaculate. Kudos to the ladies who catered to our every whim and were sensitive to our uh...needs =D

Coffee. St Ali's has a distinct taste. Don't get me wrong, it's absolutely not bad at all and it easily slips into my top 3 coffees I've had in all my brunch experiences. I was actually tempted to get another one but they ran out of skinny milk and I didn't want to push the soy in my latte.

Food. Definitely, coming back for more. WL had the secret recipe corn fritters, a.k.a. My Mexican Cousin, I had a bite and it was good. Though today, I was after something lighter and more muted. I had the grilled asparagus with poached eggs, serrano ham and truffle dressing. I compared it to the version of grilled asparagus I had at Outpost and I can't decide which one I liked more. True, both versions are different but equally good. Though I think the grilled asparagus over here were greasier (but tastier). The serrano ham worked well with the richness of the poached eggs and the earthiness of the grilled asparagus. It was just.too.good.

Milk. Ok. Another addition that we had after the meal was their Hot cardamom infused almond milk. Asians out there, you know what I'm talking about. You can't really say you're truly Asian, well more of Chinese really, if you haven't had almond milk at some point in your life. It's a nutty flavored milk processed from almonds and St Ali has this hands down. It's not as thick as I would have liked but the cardamom added just the right touch into it. Cinnamon would have worked well too. You could get a powdered version of almond milk that will be too sweet from Asian groceries.
Tea. Now, the tea wasn't completely necessary but WL and I were getting into the talk. It seemed rude to not order anything while talking so we ordered lemongrass and ginger tea which was quite ok. I normally go for peppermint but hey, I can break away from my normal routine.

Overall, St Ali gets my thumbs up. Will definitely be back for more.

And oh, Happy Australia Day! =)

St Ali on Urbanspoon

Comments