Asian-Fusion Tapas @ Huxtable, Smith Street

For people who have heard about the Cosby show, you'll be familiar with their family name, Huxtable. PG gave us a brief rundown of the tv show -- all African American, ran for about 6-7 years, comedic, wholesome, family-show. I've heard of it before, I might have seen bits and pieces of the series but can't really remember any of it now. All I'm concerned about right now, regardless of the name, is the food.

I haven't read a lot of reviews about this place but I'm a real fan of the entire small bites and shared plates concept. Having come from South East Asia, where sharing food is the main attraction of every meal, having smaller plates and bites is actually pretty exciting for me. It simply means that you get to taste different well-thought out morsels without getting too full (or maybe deceivingly so).
Huxtable has a strangely pleasant and earthy atmosphere, almost heady. The bar is facing the open kitchen (think Cumulus Inc.). Staff is really knowledgeable, friendly and chatty. Drinks are in order. WL managed to choose the wine for us (and for the first time! Bravo!), which is a nice, savory rosé from Bordeaux, France.
For the bites, we ordered what we wanted to try but I had the olive crumbed anchovy mozzarella and smoked tomato. Olive and anchovy crust was an interesting texture and saltiness to the entire chewy mozzarella. The smoked tomato puree is tangy but I think lacked that distinct "smokiness". Overall, a nicely presented bite.
My other choice is the rice flour crusted oyster po'boy, iceberg and sriracha mayo. This is a weird choice for me. When the dish arrived, I'm surprised to see that it's actually a very crusty sandwich (and I do mean very) with 3 crusted and fried pieces of oysters on a bed of iceberg lettuce dressed in spicy mayo. To be honest, I liked the combination but I'm looking for something else in between, maybe a fillet of fish like sardines or mackerel will be good.
To share, first dish is the kingfish sashimi, pear kimchi. I love, love, love the pear kimchi! It's sweet and not too spicy at the same time. Try having a piece of the kingfish sashimi with kimchi and it's divine...
Korean pork ribs, spicy slaw, chilli gherkin. The ribs are tender and spicy and the gherkin balances it all out. I can't remember the gherkin being spicy though.
Roasted duck breast, soy braised daikon, sour plum. Combination is good and concept is very Japanese. Lightness of the daikon cuts through the roasted duck breast. Enjoyable. For dessert, I had the strawberry and marscapone cheescake, pistachio sauce. I must say that this one is not too heavy and almost fluffy. Not your average New York style cheesecake but delicate enough to go hand in hand with the pistachio sauce. I would like it better with whipped cream than the pistachio sauce.

Comments