Bidding for Brunch @ Auction Rooms, North Melbourne

I'm a sucker for high ceilings. I fall in love with places that actually has beams and exposed ceiling structures, like showing off their skeletons. Besides that, the space helps circulate the smell of coffee and food. Aside from the interior, there are many reasons why I liked Auction Rooms. They have an open kitchen and the food cranking out from there is just damn good. The long queue and 15-20min wait explain everything. Coffee, to be honest, is not consistent. There will be good and bad days. Total hits out of 5 is perhaps 2 (times I had good coffee there).
Now, back to the food. My first time, I had the counter bid which was mushroom ragout with poached eggs on top of polenta. It was lovely. Delicate flavours, interesting texture and well-thought out combination ticked all the boxes for me. My next visits I had the Pork Knuckle sandwich (definitely one of the many good sandwiches I've had in Melbourne) and the Salmon Pastrami (which in my opinion is the ultimate brunch for ladies, light and healthy).

Overall, Auction Rooms reminds me of a cafe I would drive out to on a sunny weekend, catching up with friends over coffee (hopefully good on that day to make it perfect and worth fussing about) and having a good laugh about Wii.

Comments