Before Fame @ The Italian, Collins Street

I love eating that The Italian because it's always unpredictable. Whenever you've decided what to get from the menu, you're bound to change your mind, after they tell you the specials.


We didn't have wine that night but the waiter offered to whip something up for us, depending on what we like. I told him that I like peach. It wasn't in season anymore but he assures me that the bar tender will think of something. A few moments later, my peach inspired mocktail arrived and I have to say, I'm impressed. The peach drink tasted like candy but not overly sweet. It does tastes something out of a juice box but with that added Italian flare. Try it some time.


For our entree, we had thinly sliced veal with tuna salad. Not really the ideal combination but somehow, it works. I loved the poached veal so much that I just wanted to eat it on its own. The tuna salad at first was out of place with that slightly mayonnaise-y, celery, slightly onion-y taste but all in all, it brings the dish together.

My main is rolled rabbit loin stuffed with pork fennel sausage and a jus. I can't tell exactly what it is, but I can taste red wine and beef stock. Pretty odd pair for rabbit. I would like the jus to be replaced by something lighter, maybe a consomme or broth. I liked the rabbit but one downside, it's not fully cooked inside. Though light, firm-fleshed and given that it has a very tasty filling which I couldn't get enough of!

All in all, it was a good meal. I will definitely come back for their specials.

Comments