Another Australian @ Charcoal Lane, Gertrude Street

Charcoal Lane is really charming. I think there is no other word to describe it. We were seated at the corner of the room for that added privacy. I love it that the establishment has enough room to move around and talk. One more thing I like about it is that it serves Australian food. I think it's less and less that you can say when a restaurant serves Australian food. I have been asked by several people what Australian food is like and I must add Charcoal Lane to my list.

We didn't have wine that night but we had the freshly shucked oysters with lime granita. To be honest, I would rather have the oysters baked or steamed because it was a cold night after all. The combination was good but I ended up taking out the ice from the oysters because it was too cold for my taste.
What I had for dinner was another thing. Native peppered kangaroo fillet, shallot & bush tomato tart, rosella flower jus. Eating a piece of kangaroo meat is not usual and I think this is the first time I've had it ever since I've been here. It was a piece of nicely cooked kangaroo fillet (not medium rare!) on a bed of crisp pastry. It was also artfully presented. This will be the best way to try kangaroo meat. Highly recommended.

Comments