Manila Food Post: C2 (Classic Cuisine)

While I was in Manila, I'm definitely craving for Filipino food. High up on my list of restaurants to visit is almost always C2. The first time I visited this restaurant, they have an open kitchen. There are only a handful of restaurants in Manila that have open kitchens and I can't take my eyes off them! I love seeing them work around frantically but still in order, in an orchestrated chaos. Up to this moment, the thought of having an open kitchen for a restaurant is amazing and also entertaining.
My cousins, sister and I went for a short stop at C2 after a few hours of walking around the mall. One of the dishes I simply must have: Laing (Taro Leaves Cooked in Coconut Milk). I'm not sure when I started to be addicted to this dish but I recalled requesting this dish from my Grandma and, sadly, she can't make it. It's because the taro leaves had to be washed and dried repeatedly or else eating the dish will make your tongue itch! This version from C2 is indeed a classic. I loved the green chillies with this dish. The green chillies had it's own tone of spiciness but will not blow your head off. Overall, it's creamy and not over salted. I noticed myself eating it on its own.Next dish is Sisig. I think there is no translation to this dish. It is made from different parts of the pork's face: ears, cheeks, snout plus innards, mainly pork liver. All the parts are boiled to soften them then combined together with different spices among which are onion, soy sauce and vinegar. It is served with toppings of chicharon (fried pork skin), some chillies and calamansi (small lime). The end result is an extremely tasty dish. Again, I think this is a textural thing and not for people with cholesterol levels that are bordering. I still believe that everyone should try this at least once.
Filipinos love fried rice. To complete our meal, of course, we had Bago-ong (Fish Paste) Fried Rice. This is the best Bago-ong Fried Rice that I've had for a while. Bago-ong is fermented fish paste actually and usually cooked with garlic, tomatoes, ground pork or sometimes tuna. This mixture is tossed with white rice. No salt needed.
For dessert, we had Pastillas (pronounced as pas-til-yas) Panna Cotta. Pastillas is a milk-based dessert. There are different flavors and versions of pastillas across the Philippines, depending on the region and produce that can be mixed with it. I liked the texture of the panna cotta here but can barely taste the milk-based flavor for the pastillas. Still, it's a good effort.

Comments