Manila Food Post: My Grandma's Humba (Braised Pork Leg/Knuckles)

One of my Grandma's dishes that I definitely will not pass is her delicious braised pork leg/knuckles. I remembered wondering why my Grandpa would love eating this dish with lots and lots of white rice. To me, as a child, eating oily food is a no-no and I ended up peeling away all the skin and fat. Stupid me. It's a good thing that I saved myself.

It was a cold winter's night in Taipei at my aunt's place and I was starving after we came back from one of our night outs. The only dish left for dinner that night is just her braised pork leg. I accidentally took a piece of meat with some skin and fat on it. I realized at that moment what I've been missing all my life. Glutinous, fatty, melt-in-your-mouth goodness paired with steaming white rice smothered with the lovely, dark porky sauce. What more could you wish for? I know some of my friends who have a "textural" thing with fat and pork skin. And this is definitely NOT the healthiest food ever. I can clearly classify this as not for the health-conscious and faint-hearted (literally).

If I were to choose my last dish, it would be another taste of this...

Comments