Tuscan Eggs @ Picnic, Toorak Road

Having spent months delaying to go to Picnic, I finally made it there in one piece and with a hungry tummy. The place wasn't as packed as I thought it would be on a Sunday morning, since this is the day when people brunch out, prams and jogging pants in full swing. Fortunately, I had a seat and it's nice too.

Firstly, I have to say that I loved Picnic as soon as I walked in--red striped sofas, bottles and bottles of wine and champagne displayed on top of the counter, mirrors with the specials written on it, huge colorful abstract oil paintings hanging behind me. It's girly, a bit trashy, but still delicate and thoughtful.
Next up is brunch. I had my usual first round of soy latte. When I was ready to order, my server told me that the food is a 25 minute wait. 25 minutes?? Why?! They are swamped in the kitche. Ah, so I'm told. Anyway, 25 minutes should not be bad at all, should it?

So I waited patiently, thinking that I might end up being full because of the soy latte rather than the food. Needless to say, coffee here is good. Merely 10minutes passed when my food arrived. It was a pleasant surprise, one I will not complain about. I had the Tuscan poached egg with avocado and tomato salsa. Two thick slices of sourdough bread smeared with cream cheese, topped with chopped tomatoes and red onions and maybe less than a tablespoon of avocado with two beautiful poached eggs on top. This is a good serving and well portioned too. I loved the way the poached eggs jiggled and oozed out as I sliced through it. The bread was lightly toasted and thick enough that you can enjoy the soft chewy inside. Tomatoes are chopped almost in exact cubes, makes me feel thankful for the effort placed into just chopping them.
I left Picnic just slightly full and knowing that I will definitely come back for another round of posh brunch.

Comments