SAZL Sweats: Date and Butterscotch Pudding

I have to say that since I've tried sticky date pudding here, I've always loved the taste. Sticky date pudding is not a posh dessert, though there is something warm and comforting about it. The pudding isn't a real pudding but more of a soft sponge cake studded with dates and the sticky bit will be the caramel, buttery, hot sauce that you pour onto it. A dollop of cream or cold cold vanilla ice cream creates the best contrast to texture and flavor. But this post isn't exactly an ode to sticky date pudding.

Having recently bought a book on baking (the book is aptly called "Bake" by the Australian Women's Weekly), I started ramaging through the recipes to see which ones I wanted to try. I have stopped baking since I came to Melbourne, simply because I don't have an oven in my first apartment and my second apartment I shared with others. Now, having the pleasure of living and cooking alone, I can make and bake anything, anytime I feel like it (you have no idea how good it was just writing that!). Back to the book. It is divided into distinct sections such as biscuits, muffins, sponge cakes, chocolate cakes, desserts and loads more. My heart skipped a beat when I saw a recipe for a Date and Butterscotch Self-Saucing Pudding. The ingredients are fairly basic and I have almost everything in the cupboard except the pitted dates.

I'll skip to the tasting portion of this post. The pudding is perfect on a rainy day, with a warm blanket wrapped around you. At this time I didn't have vanilla ice cream on hand, but the taste was buttery and not too sweet. I think non-chocolate lovers will like this dessert. The pudding was soft and cake-y, not exactly the spongy or pillow-y texture that you would expect but, of course, this is not sticky date pudding. I would like to call it the instant sticky date pudding, because it's so easy to make.


Date and Butterscotch Self-Saucing Pudding (recipe from Bake compiled by The Australian Women's Weekly)

Ingredients for pudding:
1 cup (150g) self-raising flour
1/2 cup (110 g) firmly packed brown sugar
20g butter, melted
1/2 cup (125ml) milk
1/2 cup (70g) finely chopped dried seedless dates

Caramel sauce:
1/2 cup (110 g) firmly packed brown sugar
1 3/4 cups (430ml) boiling water
50 g butter

Steps:
1. Preheat oven to 180C/160C fan-forced. Grease 2-litre (8 cup) shallow ovenproof dish.
2. combine flour, sugar, milk, dates in medium bwol. Spread mixture into dish.
3. make caramel sauce. Stir ingredients in medium heatproof jug until sugar is dissolved and butter is melted.
4. Pour caramel sauce slowly over back of spoon onto mixture in dish.
5. Bake pudding about 45 minutes or until centre is firm. Stand 5 minutes before serving.

Comments