Japanese Tapas @ Izakaya Den, Russell Street

A sudden urge to try something new came over me and I decided that....I WANT JAPANESE. My first choice was to go to Maedaya at Richmond but they're closed on Sundays. Good thing, another option is available on Sundays, which is Izakaya Den at Russell Street. This place was received twice at Epicure by The Age and also read fantastic things about it from bloggers.

Another good thing was, I wasn't alone. I have my good friend PG join me for a night out of sake and Japanese knick-knacks. Interior-wise, the place was tunnel-like and the end has a ceiling to floor mirror that made the place looked "deeper". PG also noticed that their specials were projected through a data show, which was quite creative. Good news first for both wine and sake lovers, this place has a good selection of Japanese sake, shochu, reds and whites.

First item on the list is Chargrilled Kurobata pork belly. Ladies and gents, don't be perplexed by the sickly things that you see, these beauties are amazingly flavorful and tender. I loved every bite of it. The taste was still and clear but well-seasoned.

Next is the Stir-fried Japanese mushrooms. When PG tasted this, he was waving his chopsticks towards it, urging me to try it. It was that good. I think nothing is really added into it, just salt some sesame oil and perhaps something else but it is a wickedly good, and not to mention, healthy dish.This is PG's first choice from the menu and I'm glad he chose it. You will never have sushi this fresh before...and I do mean fresh. The taste was cold and almost water-y fresh. Not sure if it is supposed to be this way but it's not bad at all. Inside is pickled konbu, which is a Japanese cabbage-crunch, crunch.

This trip to Izakaya Den wasn't bad at all. I would think this is more of an upscale izakaya. But, westernized-izakaya's aside, this place is worth coming back to.

Comments