Bread Shopping @ Dench Bakers, Scotchmer Street

I have been delaying my trip to Dench Bakers for a while. Well, my sole purpose is not just to have breakfast but to shop for bread. And I do mean shop. I've had good things from Dench Bakers but I haven't had enough until I can bring some home for myself.

I made it around 9am and believe it or not, the place was packed for breakfast. Don't people wake up late on Sunday mornings? Good thing, there was no shortage of bread. My eyes scanned for the ones that I've heard great things about. My heart was set on buying some croissants and danishes but not quite sure of which "daily" bread to get. Several sites recommended the Schwartzbot (German dark rye bread) and olive bread. I think I can't have both, so I went for the olive bread instead. I also bought the light rye.
As I carried my bag of freshly baked treats, I can literally catch the smell of delicious warm bread. There is nothing better than a smell of freshly baked bread in the morning and I envy those who lived near Dench Bakers close enough to get their hands on one whenever they want to.

I bought the fig and nectarine danishes. The moment I set my bag down from Dench's, I immediately snatched one danish and savoured it piece by piece. I went for the fig danish first. Should I say that it's the best danish in all of Melbourne? You can see the layer upon layer of pastry, all light and flaky. The custard was not too sweet but enough to make you understand why it's there. The fig was fresh and sweet.
Dench Bakers is definitely worth waking up at 8am for...even on a lazy Sunday morning...will be back soon.

Comments