Smoked Trout Betel Leaves @ Longrain, Little Bourke

These photos taken from one of our December lunches when my family visited still stuck on my mind. It's not just the way it looked, but the way it tasted. I had my first taste of the herb wrapped in something I can't remember on one of my first dinner-outs with friends. Honestly, I hated it at that time. It was bitter and dry in the mouth.
It's strange that I ended up convincing Mom and Sis to try this one when we had lunch at Longrain, after having the not-so-nice experience some place else. This is Longrain after all. What could go wrong?

So, what's in it, you ask? It's described as betel leaf topped with smoked trout chilli roasted galangal garlic and trout roe. I definitely think that there's something more in there but the dressing was fantastic. It was zingy and sweet, without being too salty. Though, for me, one or two should be enough to start off the meal. At the end of the meal, my mind was still on that small morsel of herb, packed with flavor.

Comments