SAZL Sweats: Watermelon Salad with Feta and Mint

I was utterly frustrated today from my studies that I don't feel like writing anything at all. Good thing though was there was always food to comfort and uplift me. Hurriedly, I went over to my kitchen and made watermelon and feta salad.

It has always been my "dream" to try this recipe from the moment I saw it on one of Nigella's summer episodes. I know it doesn't seem thrilling or interesting at the least. For me, to incorporate fruit in salads has that attraction and I wonder at the taste of how sweet and salty would work in a fresh dish.

Herbs and cheese aren't Manila's strongest points but I have to say that we have the best tropical fruits grown and harvested inland. During the summer, we have the sweet, stringy watermelon with dark green skin, not like the one we have in Melbourne now.

Working through what I need is simple enough. I didn't follow Nigella's recipe to the letter. The recipe called for olives, which I omitted. I did follow the bit where she "marinated" the red onion in lime juice, to get rid of the acrid burn of raw onion. The result was a mellow crunch, nothing overpowering and refreshing.

I also took the effort to cool the watermelon, because I like cold salads, especially in warm days like this. The feta cheese that I used was made from skim milk. I'm not sure what will be the difference but I opted for full cream feta cheese but overall, it won't do harm to cut down on the fat. Hehe.

Putting it all together is a simple effort, the last to be in the salad is a touch of olive oil. A light toss, and all you have to do is eat it.

Comments