SAZL Sweats: Oven Baked Salmon Steaks

I always wondered how restaurants manage to serve salmon steaks perfectly. You know how the salmon steak will be pulping with its sweet juices and majestically coral in color. I hate it when a restaurant overcooks salmon steak or fillet. You can literally see strains of milky clots on the flesh. I think that's a crime. Not that I favor the rare but I'm against overkill, in the effort of being impressive but failing horribly.In my quest to cook the perfect salmon fillet/steak, I only found out how last year, when one particular day of every other week turned out to be "salmon" night. First, let's talk about the marinade. I think that fish should not be marinated too long or else, it will cook the flesh. Acidic condiments used to marinade the fish should not be used as well such as lemon and vinegar among others. If you favor lemon or vinegar, use it as a dressing, when the fish was already cooked. Simply dusting the salmon fillet/steaks from the humble salt and pepper to various dried herbs and spices of your choice will do perfectly. I made mine with oregano, parsley, basil, thyme, honey, salt and olive oil. If olive oil was not used, you can dot the salmon steaks with butter before going into the oven.On a 180C oven, for 15-20minutes will guarantee a well-cooked, juicy piece of salmon steak/fillet. If the outside turned too brown, cover it with foil and return to the oven. I like mine with a touch of pink , so they say. The result was simple but delicious, with the salmon flesh melting in your mouth without the need of chewing.

Comments