SAZL Sweats: Chicken and Vegetable Casserole

I recently got a cookbook called Middle Eastern Cookery by Arto der Haroutunian. I've bought his North African Cookery before, but got it sent home to Manila before I got the chance to try any of the recipes. This time, I came prepared. I bought a dutch-oven, enamel coated cast iron casserole in blaze red. It will be my first time to cook using a casserole and I can't wait. In my excitement, I gathered my ingredients since yesterday and poultry today. Originally, I wanted to try the Armenian Vegetable Casserole, but I know I needed protein. Flipping a few more pages led me to the Chicken and Vegetable Casserole, which is I think equally promising.

First, I used chicken drumsticks for this recipe, dredging them in flour combined with chilli flakes, salt and pepper then lightly frying them in the casserole with some oil. Setting them aside, I added more oil, then fried chopped eggplant, green beans, baby carrots, onions, courgette and red pepper. The chicken pieces are added back in with chopped tomatoes. 3/4 cup of water scented with salt, pepper and chilli flakes are added into the casserole, covered, then baked on a 190C oven, for almost an hour. Mine just cooked for 20-30minutes in the oven. After which, the chicken came out moist and tender on a piping hot, tasty bed of stewed veggies. I had a small bowl immediately with all the lovely "soup". There's nothing left to do except dunk few chunks of bread into it and eat.

Comments