Light Dinner @ Movida, Hosier Lane

I'm feeling restless today. I'm pretty sure I need something important done but I'm simply too lazy to work on anything useful now. My senses aren't really keen on absorbing anything so I've decided to sit back and look at some of the pictures we've taken while mom and sis were here.

While closely inspecting the lot, I noticed that I haven't blogged about our dinner at Movida yet. I know I couldn't possibly miss this one but blame it on the busy holidays and after-holiday work that has creeped up once you've gone into the usual work mode but I digress.

I probably won't be able to remember every detail by now in terms of the specific name of the item ordered though I have to admit that whatever you order in Movida will prove to be interesting.

Truffe - this is Manchengo cheese custard with shaved black truffle. It is served in an egg shell and cold, so don't be surprised. I also believe that it should not be eaten on it's own because it will be too salty. I used it as a spread on the bread served on our table. The result was a very subtle and delicate mixture of cold, melting cheese. Think of it as a cheese spread, but posh and spanish.

Tom Cooper's smocked mackerel - I've had Tom Cooper's smoked salmon and it was fantastic. Mackerel, however, was kind of strange sounding to me. But the result was also wonderful. The mackerel itself was sweet and not salty at all. There was no fishiness to it and though the flesh wasn't as oily as salmon, it was firm. The main contrast to it was the cold sorbet on top. This cold sorbet gave the dish that contrast of saltiness with the sweet flesh.
Beef Cheek in Pedro Ximenez and cauliflower puree - I insisted on letting them try the beef cheek tonight. It was a bit tough on the outside but inside was tender. I think in this area, Anada wins hands down. Dessert was churros with a glass of Pedro XimenezOne other thing that kind of disappointed me, was the service. The waiters were sort of rushing you in and out of the door. While we were ordering, our server "suggested" that we start with 2 or 3 tapas, then 4 raciones for dinner. When we ordered just 1 tapas and 2 raciones, he remarked in this manner: "Weren't you listening when I said you should order 4 raciones? They (referring to the raciones) are usually small." I told him that we weren't famished that night and if we were still hungry, we will just add more. He left us alone to order. Maybe it was because of the holidays and considering that it was a Sunday (they opened on Dec27th), still, he shouldn't have worked that day if he's feeling grumpy. So that's my latest Movida experience.

Comments