Viva Jamon @ Delicatess, Prahran Market

"How much does this cost per kilo?"
"It's 400 dollars per kilo" she said.
"Sorry? Say that again..."

I thought I've gone deaf. I think this is one of the most expensive food stuff that I bought during my entire stay here. Delicatess is one of the few stores that actually sells Iberico Jamon. The place is always packed with people looking for good quality hams and cheeses. I noticed that people don't really buy in bulk. They usually buy by the slice. I think it is more of a flavor to be enjoyed and savoured rather than horking it down in one seating, by yourself or with friends.
I got three thinly sliced luxury from this well marbled leg of Iberico pig and I know I got my money's worth once I saw the redness of the meat and just the smell of the fermentation wafting from them.Smell. Honestly, just from a few inches away from the ham, I can already sense a sharp, dank, salty scent reaching my nose. Amazingly, it's not unpleasant. I got the feeling that I'm suddenly enclosed in a stockroom full of ageing legs hanging around me.

Sight. Wow. Should I say that I have never seen a better ham from my limited experience? Every slice is unashamedly red, not blushing, I can see that the original color from the meat is well preserved. There are streaks of fat running out everywhere across the slices, some thin, some thick. Of course, the best part of the ham is always, always, the fat.
Taste. Sharp and salty as it fits the tongue. It's firm and stringy as I chewed on it. As I chewed on it longer, there's this burst of flavor inside my mouth that I can't describe. Lovely, smooth and salty yet sublime texture. For a short while, I felt like I was sitting along a rustic Spanish country side then back again to my apartment. Really.

Comments