SAZL Reads: North African Cookery by Arto der Haroutunian

Passed by Books for Cooks today. I know I want to be out there and enjoy the windy Spring day and I did. For a moment, that is. I can't help but sneeze and get all watery-eyed. A trip to the bookstore is always my favorite errand. It's like being in a candy shop and what's best about it is that it's all about cooking and food. I can pick up 6-10 books easily from the store but I have to stop myself.

The introduction from the book talks about history, religion and culture of the region, which played a huge part in North African cuisine. North African would mean Algeria, Morocco, Tunisia and Libya. It also distinguishes the differences between these four, which is enlightening. Just from the short descriptions, the book already left a strong impression on me. If cookbooks that have loads of pictures is your thing, this probably isn't the book for you. There is no, and I'll say it again, no pictures in this book. What you get are basic recipes from the region and surprisingly, are not as complex as I thought they could be. I'm looking forward to try some of them soon.

Comments