Not Quite There @ Barnacle Bill's, The Esplanade, Cairns

JL and I were waiting for the Night Market to start along The Esplanade when we started to see signs of early bird dinners along the street. There were relatively few people around. I noticed that there were more old than young people in Cairns. Hmm, where did all the hot bodies go? Anyway, I digress. Let's talk about food. Seafood. This is, after all, Cairns. Conveniently set along the Great Barrier Reef, they should be serving seafood, right?
I know that Cairns is infamous for mudcrabs, bugs and prawns but I'm in the mood for something light and refreshing. So, why not barramundi? It's posh after all. I should've stuck with the crab. Honestly, there is nothing wrong at all. Except that, would you really find something like this appetizing? I know that maybe I'm not hitting the jackpot here. The plate is not warm when the dish was served. Not a good sign. The fish was bland and pale. Is this steamed or pan-seared? I can't tell. The prawns were crisp and sweet, which was probably why they kept them that way. The avocado and splash of hollandaise sauce on top just didn't cut it for me.
On the slightly upside, they did serve a fresh salad along with my main. In the end, I still wished I went for the mudcrab...

Comments