Il Falcone Grappa with Other Treats @ Portello Rosso, Warburton Lane

I simply adore Portello Rosso. The smallish tapas bar is always full of surprises and I always feel welcome just as I step in the door. My expectations were low when I entered Portello Rosso, thinking that I would be ordering the same tapas from their menu. Little did I know that I'm in for a treat.

Step #1: Choose a sherry from their wine list. Admittedly, their sherry list isn't extensive but there are good regulars such as the fino and amontillado. What I wanted to try is a strong liquor called Il Falcone Grappa. When the bartender asked me how I wanted it served, straight up! As I sipped my sherry, I felt it burned down from my throat to my innards to my belly. WHOA! It packed a punch but it was dry and crisp. You wouldn't feel the alcohol burning unless you've swallowed that small bit. I like it.

Step #2: Choose your tapas. Surprisingly, the entire tapas menu looked new to me, which is a good thing. I've been there twice and twice, the menu was the same. This entire change-up thing is a delightful treat and it made me rock my brains on which ones to try. There is a special of Pan-Fried Quail with Salata Rusa. I haven't had quail in a while, so that's worth a try. Being used to smaller portions such as MoVida and Anada, I wasn't expecting to eat 2 whole quails. The serving was hefty and should be considered as a racion rather than a tapas. It is a welcome treat and value for money. The quail was lightly spiced with a tinge of pink at the center of the breast, cooked just right. I can taste cumin and coriander from the skin of the quail. Another point worth mentioning is the way the quail was deboned. The thigh was just attached to the breast by the skin and the breast was already boneless, leaving you with nothing to pick on but just to eat. I was resisting the urge to pick the thing up and gobble it. Yum! One downside is the salad. The cabbage was bitter when I tried it the first and second time, so I skipped the side altogether.
Second one I had was the Croquettes with jamon and manchego cheese. This one was the real treat. My first notion of croquette is that it's made from potato and with other ingredients. It can be fish, ham, cheese, chicken...even peas! I rarely order croquetas because I know they will be ordinary. I don't know what has gotten into me and I wanted to try it tonight. It turned out to be a good choice because the inside was so creamy and fluffy. The manchego cheese stole the show. It was melting and oozing, almost spilling out as I cut my table knife onto it. Delish!
Step #3: If you have decided to pass dessert, don't pass on their short black, a.k.a. espresso. It was divine and silky. I was really arguing against myself to have dessert, because I don't want to walk out too full. So I opted for a light coffee instead. I didn't feel like having coffee with milk, so my choices are short or long black. I'm not in the mood for diluted black coffee, so strong coffee it is. The first espresso that landed on my table was bitter and has a muted after taste, but my server warned me about this. She claimed that there's something wrong with the espresso maker, but when the bartender came and fixed it, she offered to bring another one to my table. And I'm glad she did. The second espresso was just fab--hot, silky and has that almost chocolate-y after taste, none of the burnt bits. I could kiss the bartender for making a good cup of espresso.

Til next time!

Comments