French Toast Special @ Rish Cocktail Bar and Restaurant, Surfer's Paradise

When I first heard of bacon, maple syrup on French toast, I could feel my stomach churn but there were promises that it was good so I've decided to give it a shot.
At Rish, it's called French Toast Special. French toast with grilled bananas, maple syrup and bacon. I'm not sure if it's the best thing I've had but it was very nice. To start with, the French toast was neither sweet nor savory. The maple syrup and grilled bananas were sure bets which were supposed to make the French toast sweet and an early breakfast dessert extravaganza for the sweet tooth. But wait! There's more! Let me introduce: the bacon. I'm not sure exactly were to put this now. It's not salty but meaty. It's not stale but with a slight smoky flavor. Now, combining sweet and savory is on a different level of sensation on my taste buds. I think that sometimes it makes sense: like caramel with fleur de sel or strawberries with balsamic dressing or rockmelons with prosciutto. You get the picture.
On a final note, it wasn't all that bad. I think there must be some sort of standard in French toasts and this is one of the twists that was made to kick it up a few knotches, making it the better than your average French toast for breakfast.

Comments