Brunch At The Park @ Mart130, Middle Park

JL wanted to have brunch at Mart130 and I quickly obliged. This has been one of the infamous stops on the outskirts of the city, where people gather and queue up just for breakfast and brunch. Unfortunately, we took the wrong side of the tram and sat on it for more than an hour til we reached our destination. Fortunately, Mart130 was right in front of the Middle Park stop, so it saved our growling tummies. We had a less than 5 minute wait outside the cold early Spring wind, though sunny. The seat we had was in front of the Middle Park tennis court and it was nice. Missing the sun, we didn't mind the occasional shades from the leaves of the trees above us.
JL and I heard recommendations from different people on what is/are good here. She ended up ordering the French toast brioche with blueberry compote while I ordered their oven-baked corn fritters with a poached egg on the side. My mind was actually still stuck with the fab corn fritters I had at Richmond Hill and Larder Cafe, since then, I knew I had to have more.
On the good side, the Genovese coffee was excellent and served fast. I had two because I know good coffee when I taste and smelled one. On the bad side, it took 20 mins from the time we ordered to when our food arrived. I heard that there was staff shortage, so ok, forgiven. It was well-worth the wait because the food was beyond good.
JL loved their brioche version of French toast and I tasted some. It was eggy and not overly sweet with the plump blueberry compote. There was a dallop of fresh cream on top and made it more appealing as well as comforting.

Mine, on the other hand, was just the way I like them. Being familiar with the corn fritters and smoked salmon combo, this one had bacon. I'm not particularly a bacon fan and I would personally still prefer smoked salmon in between my corn fritters. In general, the corn kernels were fresh and earthy, giving every bite that clean, crunchy, off the cob flavor. The fritters were unyielding, breaking off as you take each bite off with some of the bacon, of the tomato relish and of the creme fraiche.One element of the dish I'd like to focus on is the tomato relish. I can't remember anytime I've enjoyed tomato relish, maybe shallow but the flavor was tangy and juicy at the same time. It reminded me of a sweet and sour candy I used to have when I was young and my Grandmother would trick me into eating vegetables in exchange for that treat. I do hope it's home-made, or I'll be heartbroken.
After that huge appetite mellowed down with a heart meal, JL and I took a few minutes walk before taking the tram back to CBD. Walking never felt this good...

Comments