Lovely Corn Fritters @ The Richmond Hill Cafe and Larder, Bridge Road, Richmond

I was in a rush to have breakfast at the Richmond Hill Cafe and Larder. When I arrived, the place was packed. I can't believe how late I was but when I looked at the time, it was only 9am. Is it really just 9am? As I queue up for a seat, I peered inside the restaurant and it was bustling with families, friends, couples and singles alike. Never had I been at a breakfast joint so pumping with adrenalin and life, as if the morning has injected itself with steroids.

I opted for a seat at the bar, to avoid the bustle and hustle amongst the morning breakfast diners. I happen to choose the right seat, because it was facing the bar and the open kitchen as well. I can see the chef and his assistants busily buttering toasts and sauteeing mushrooms, layinf soft boiled eggs into their containers, lining up warmed plates on the kitchen counter and plating up before the quick waitress will come by and pick up the orders. It was fantastic.
One let down, however, was the coffee. I've read from some reviews that though the food maybe awesome, the coffee was burnt. And indeed it was. I'm not sure how they could do it wrong. Maybe it's because they're always rushing to crank up lattes and capps but still, every decent cafe should serve decent coffee. Though not the worst I've had, this one was just as bad.
Burnt coffee aside, I ordered the corn and coriander fritters with smoked salmon, poached free range egg and fresh spinach. Recalling my Replete Providore corn fritters experience, I know better than to order corn fritters. I didn't enjoy my last corn fritter but instincts told me to give it another shot. And I'm glad I did. The corn fritters were AMAZING. It was crispy on the outside and soft and unyielding on the inside with lots and lots of lovely corn kernels crunchy and bursting with their ripened juices. The tasmanian smoked salmon was the perfect pair to the corn fritters, they were silky, they went down smoothly with the corn fritters.

Though service was as rushed as I was, if time permits, I would come back to the Richmond Hill Cafe and Larder again. I just need to be early, that's all =D.

Comments