Lazy Spring Breakie @ North Cafe, Rathdowne Street, North Carlton

I have to literally drag myself up from bed this morning. I was feeling so lazy even though my brain was battling against my tummy for something good to eat for breakfast. Well, make that brunch. I've based my choices on some good reviews from Breakfast Out, which was always a good idea for me to fish out the ones that I find different than your usual breakfast/brunch options. Lucky enough, I found North Cafe from the site.
I opened my laptop as I woke up, lingering over whether to go to the Richmond Hill Cafe and Larder, Bistro Flor or North Cafe. Too many choices, so little time. I was already waiting at the tram stop towards Bridge Road when I found out that I have to wait for 20minutes for the tram to arrive at my stop. Ok, I was forced to walk to Bourke Street to take the tram to Carlton. Once I was on, I have to battle between hopping off at Stop 18 (North Cafe with 10mins walk) OR Stop 19 (Bistro Flor).

The walk to North Cafe wasn't unpleasant. It was a bit cold but less windy, which is always good. Reaching the cafe, the place was packed. Popular. I had no choice but to sit outside in the cold. Sigh. Recalling my Dench Bakers experience a while back, I'm sure the breakfast here will be good. Sitting outside wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. Warm coffees and food arrived curtly and the service was down to earth and always with a smile.
Countless patrons dropped by to have coffees for take-away. For my brunch, I had two soy lattes. The coffee here was exceptionally good. My soy latte came with a delicious, foamy, creamy top, not too bitter but smooth and inviting. Precious.
I'm battling between the French toast with poach pears, walnuts and lemon honey labne AND the Huevos Rancheros, a Mexican style breakfast. I thought of having half orders, which they do, btw, but my server warned me that the servings will still be huge. I decided to forget about my sweet tooth and opted for the Huevos.

Fortunately, I didn't regret my choice. This is something I haven't had for breakfast/brunch before. 2 yolky fried eggs over black beans over soft tortillas with grilled corn, avocado, chorizo and salsa. Having the habit of "stacking" the different elements of my dish into a fork and relishing the combinations, overall, this is scrumptuous. Yolky egg with soft black beans, creamy avocado, tangy salsa and smoky paprika-spiced chorizo...hearty and tasty.
Though I have to say that this is something that won't have every day for brunch, this is a good way to start a day when you had too much to drink last night. There were several other options on the menu, sadly, the French toast have to wait til my next visit.

Comments