Argentinian Barbeque @ El Gaucho, Fitzroy

This is just one of those nights that I wanted to stay in. It was the type of weather that will make you feel lazy to go and hang out. Dinner was already arranged with a bunch of us catching up and celebrating an officemate's birthday. I already committed so I have to go (since I bailed out last night). Tonight's dinner was arranged by my Peruvian manager and he's always a charming bloke to be around with. That's a plus.


After ordering entrees and drinks, we all chatted the away while waiting for the main dish to arrive. We all ordered the infamous beef asado, cooked over the grill.


Entree: Empanadas. I loved the pastry it used to cover the minced meat in. It was minced beef with olives, capers, bell pepper and onions. It was simple, fried, toasty and hot inside. The pastry was flaky and crusty. Delish.
Drinks: Pisco Sour. It is made with eggs, lime, and pisco. Pisco is a sugar cane based liquor with 42% alcohol. That damned thing was just burning my insides as I took a sip.
Sangria. This is my first sangria. I'm not sure what it's made of but I'm sure there's red wine. The boys looooved this drink.

Main: Beef Asado, Sausage, Blood sausage with Chimichurri. The marinade for the beef ribs was astounding. It wasn't anything overpowering such as soy sauce or tomato sauce. It was just salt and pepper which made it very tasty. The beef ribs were fatty and melt-in-your-mouth, best eaten straight off the grill. We had sides of green salad and potato salad.

Overall, it was a great night out with co-workers and friends. We talked about South America, about our bosses, about embarrassing moments and jokes amongst jugs of sangria. It was a delightful atmosphere and mix of people. I was amazed as to how far I've come in terms of meeting people of different cultures and to be able to relate with some of them. AND the best thing is, there was good food and drinks to go along with it.

Comments