Weekday Breakfast @ Illia Cafe, Little Bourke Street

I was planning to wake up early and go to Cumulus Inc. for breakfast but I can't. I was feeling so lazy. I opted for somewhere closer and estimated that I should get to the office by 9:30am. The clock was ticking.


I walked briskly to Illia. I've walked past this cafe so many times, I've lost count. The name was, I think, upside down but even from that, you can still read it was Illia. Smart.

The cafe was cozy and dark but faintly cafeteria like. The breakfast menu was loaded with things from eggs to mueslis to sandwiches. I'm in the mood for a breakfast sandwich, so I chose the Illia Arafalo. It's basically Turkish bread with 2 fried eggs, bacon, tasty cheese, tomatoes with their homemade BBQ sauce.

I loved the Gravity coffee. It was rich, foamy and pungent without being watery. There was that delicious, creamy almost caramel flavored after taste, which felt good on a cold morning. My sandwich arrived, freshly cooked and I can almost see the tasty cheese melting underneath the tomatoes. I bit into it and didn't turn back. The bread was toasty and crunchy, fried eggs were thin without being dry, bacon was slightly salty, melted stringy cheese and juicy tomatoes. Oh, wait. I almost forgot about the home made BBQ sauce. Tangy and chunky. Smoky and just plain delightful. This is definitely a good idea. Having BBQ sauce on your breakfast sandwich. Nice touch.


Illia Cafe has other sweet things to savor, muffins, blondies, brownies, cookies to soothe every aching sweet tooth. Good coffee for the cafenista and punchy breakfasts to jump start your hectic day. Good stuff. By the way, I made it to the office at 9:45am.

Comments