True Italian @ Il Bacaro, Little Collins

I haven't had a lot of Italian meals here in Melbourne. My love is with French food since this cuisine isn't really showcased a lot in Manila, so I'm making the most of it. This and fusion cuisine. And Spanish. OK. I'm not exactly picky. I just want to try as much as I can.


Il Bacaro, for me, is the essence of true Italian cuisine in the city. The people who serve, cook and even eat there, one way or another, is an Italian, if not all of them. Just by the half-closed blinds in the restaurant is very Italian and the bar is well-stocked with Italian wines. The menu is creative, without missing out on the usuals such as pastas, bruschetta, hearty Italian mains, sides of salads, appetizers, soups and desserts. As I was contemplating on what to order, my server passed by to enumerate the specials. They have a special item for each of the section in the menu, so it took him a while to say them all. After which, I changed my mind on what to order for my appetizer and decided to pass dessert. I had three entrees instead. I also let my server recommend which wine to have, and he chose a sauvignon blank for the meal.

Salted Cod Soup with Potatoes and a Querelle of Salted Cod and Mashed Potatoes. I haven't had salted cod soup before. I'm aware that this fish should be soaked for long periods of time, then boiled or cooked in some way to remove more of the salt, and finally cooked. Surprisingly, this soup was light and has a clear tasty broth from the salted cod and parsley. The potatoes were well cooked without being mushy and the best part was the salted cod querelle. It was delicate with the mashed potatoes and the salted cod. It was almost airy and so creamy. A good start to the meal.


Bruschetta of Poached Baby Veal with Tuna Mayonnaise. This dish looked promising from the time I set eye on it to the time I've devoured it. I can't imagine meat being paired with a creamy mayonnaise sauce but it works. Imagine tender, medium rare slices of veal, with a hint of rosemary, parsley and pepper in every bite combined with the tangy tuna mayonnaise then lastly, the buttered crunchy sliced bread. Just divine.


Thistle Quadretti with Braised Beef Cheeks and Parmigiano Reggiano. This is the stuff that dreams are made of. I've had my first beef cheek in Anada some time ago, and I know it's something that I must have before I go back to Manila but I digress. What can be more inviting than freshly made pasta and beef cheeks AND cheese in one dish? It tastes as appetizing as it looks. The pasta was al dente, firm and gives just slightly, with delicious, pungent, short and tiny slivers of beef cheek, ever so tender and heightened by the melted parmigiano reggiano. Wow.


I'm placing Il Bacaro in one of my places to go back to in October before I head home to Manila and I'm pretty sure it's clear why.

Comments