My Random Pick @ The Mill and Charlie's Bar, Hardware Lane, Little Bourke

Hardware Lane is one of my favorite lanes in Melbourne. It's swanky but still understated. No drunks and hippies but still got that old world, jazzy feel. I often come here for one place and one place only, which is Le Triskel. Yes, it's close to perfection but I'm not going there tonight.

I walked along the narrow Hardware Lane, looking at menus. My main criteria would be ambiance, not too crowded and loud, a place where I can sit inside and still see outside, and, of course, decent food, if not great.

My choice for tonight is The Mill and Charlie's Bar. The Mill is the restaurant and below is Charlie's Bar. The place wasn't full when I was sat down on a pretty nice corner by myself. I ordered a Pinot Grigio from Mornington Peninsula. It was delicious. It's a lot lighter than your usual white wine, like light grapes eager to bust out. Citrusy but not too bold and gives you the feeling that it's almost there, perfect for the almost here spring season.



I was battling between the atlantic salmon and the lamb rump. I guess the carnivore in me pervaded so lamb it is. It promised something of an Asian flavor paired with French jus. Ok. I'll bite. I also ordered a side of broccoli and brussell sprouts gratin.


Ambiance-wise, the Mill has a nice jazzy-vibe and not too loud, just the way I wanted. I love the old tinted lamps and the play of red and yellow lighting. I also liked the way they arranged the tables in an obscure way, not exact and in-its-place but still works without diner's shoulders bumping into another one's arm.


Almost 15mins later, dinner is served. The broccoli and brussell sprouts gratin was impressive. They were steamed then placed on a semi-deep dish cazuela with hot melting cheese on top. Delish! I have to mention that the brussel sprouts weren't mushy, which is a good thing. The broccoli looked bright and happy, which is another good thing. Well-executed and a tasty way to spike up your regular veggies.



The lamb rump. I have to say that I liked the way they cooked the lamb rump. It was juicy and plump, no sight of any dry or overcooked area on the lamb. There was a good crust on the rump as well, crunchy and smoky. The fat was pure heaven. Sorry, love handles. The jus wasn't overly salty but just the right combination of concentrated stock and butter. There was one thing that deeply disturbed me though. The mound on top of the lamb maybe appealing but wasn't pleasing in any way. Was this a garnish? For flavor? I'm not sure what it's there for. I tried it once, twice, then I pushed it aside. It was waaaaay too salty, I just couldn't eat it. Aside from that, everything was ok.

Service-wise, the staff are very attentive and eager to please. Good staff adds to an overall good experience that you have at a restaurant. Even if a restaurant serves up the best food but with terrible people who serve it, remember to walk out the door.

Comments