Great Sausage Roll @ Babka, Brunswick Street, Fitzroy

Babka has always been one of the spots I want to visit in Brunswick. My last attempt failed because it was rainy and the store was already closed. This time, I passed by Babka by accident. I noticed a cafe where there was a long line and inside, it was packed with people and the lovely smell of the freshly baked bread swafting from its doors. Yes, it was Babka. I hurriedly went in to queue up and luckily, since I only need a table for one, I was ushered to a seat by the window.

After the browsing through the simple menu of pies, pastries and breakfast plates, I opted for the one that was on the chalkboard. Chalkboard menu boasted chowders, salads, and simple mains, mostly with some kind of bread or savory pastry. I chose the Pork, Veal and Rosemary Sausage Roll with Babka's Tomato Sauce.

The weather from my view was perfect, sunny but not too hot and not too cold that will send your coffee's temperature down in a matter of minutes. I looked around Babka. It was busy, cozy, with people all digging in to their meat pieces and chowders. On the other end, people were queueing up for their famous breads, tarts and minced pies. I reckon the person baking them must be frantically keeping up with the orders. Once something comes out, it will be gone in just a few minutes.



A few slices of bread and butter came prior to my dish, along with my flat white. The bread was fresh, soft and tightly-knit. It wasn't warm as I expected but it was good anyways. I'm just wondering now if the sausage roll I ordered will make me full enough since I will still be walking for a few hours.


As I gazed down at my sausage roll, I'm beginning to think that I made the wrong choice. It looked pale and boring, with a rocket salad and a tad bit of tomato sauce on the side. Oh, no. I sliced my table knife into the sausage roll and out came the most delightfully, meaty smell I've ever experienced. It wasn't the red minced meat usually seen from your regular bakery that sells sausage rolls. I can see the rosemary and onions with chunky pieces of pork and veal inside. What amazes me was the light taste of the minced meat. It wasn't pungent but it was juicy and savory enough, and with a little bit of the sweet tomato sauce, it was just right. Undoubtedly, the best sausage roll I've ever had from my stay here in Melbourne. Too bad I was full to try a slice of their tarts. I'll be back!

Comments