Bratwurst and Jam Donuts @ Queen Victoria Market

These are some of the few things that I've always pushed back on my list of things to eat in Melbourne. The Melbourne bratwurst shop and American Donuts both in the Queen Victoria Market.

The Melbourne Bratwurst Shop is located in the deli section of the market. And every weekend that we pass by the deli section, there is this crazy hustle and bustle of people, scrambling over the stall to buy their bratwurst. And now, I understand what the "scramblng" and sometimes pushing, is all about. Imagine this: 4-5 types of bratwursts from orignal to spicy to dark to white, 6-8 types of mustards from mild to whole grain to spicy and your usual toppings of cheese, caramelized onions and sauerkraut. This is practically every hotdog sandwich favorite guy's dream come true. And it gets better because I found out that the bread or sandwich bread that they use was good. And I mean damn good. It's not your average bun. The bread was warm with a crunch on the outside but soft on the inside. The bratwurst, I chose the spicy one, has a crunchy and split-smacking sensation in your mouth, followed by a delicious, juicy inside of spiced meat sausage. Mild mustard was my choice, and it went naturally with the bratwurst. Combined with its other natural, not-lacking in flavor of sweetness and taste of sauerkraut. I can't really describe how sauerkraut tastes like. It's not a bad sensation at all. It's actually has that "squeaky" and substantial feel which is not unpleasant but its something I think I can do without next time.

After that "brunch", I went to the American Donut van. This time, since it's a weekday, the queue wasn't long, so I didn't have to wait long to have some donuts. Again, just a taste of this delicious, crunchy thing will defy my every definition and impression of what a donut is and should be. This is hands-down THE BEST donut I've ever had in my life. The donut was filled with jam, the flavor I would say is raspberry, then fried and "dressed" with corase sugar. But don't get the appearance fool you. Biting into one of these will get you hooked. The dough was sensational in itself. It was lightly crunchy on the outside with some sweetness from the sugar. Inside, it is a bit chewy but also cake-y in texture. It's like a crosss between a muffin and something else gooey. The jam contributed to some citrusy delight. I. WANT. MORE.

Comments