Very French @ Le Triskel, Hardware Lane

Usual ramblings led E and I to Le Triskel. He's "forced" to tag along since I felt like going there tonight. I've been here more than my fair share of crepes and coffees but there are still a few items that I like to try that would make my French experience almost complete.

We sat outside which was a bit chilly since it was night time but still pleasant. Jazz players are strumming away nearby and some people walking along the laneway just taking in the sights and sounds.
Le Triskel is indeed very French by my standards. Here's why. The small cafe has a menu in French, offering crepes, wines and several cheeses from the French regions. They have books and magazines in French and if there were English magazines, they are travel magazines that feature travels to France. Inside, they play French music and their waiters speak French. Needless to say, their menu offers very French items, including croque monsieur and le bol cafe au lait. I've read from somewhere that the French would have their coffee in a bowl. In a bowl?? As my server introduced it when I ordered the drink:

Server: "Would you like it in a bowl or in a latte cup?"
Me: "Uhmm...in a bowl?"
Server: "Yes, it's very French when served in a bowl..."
Me: "Ok. I'll try it in a bowl."

So, I'm determined to try this one out. On one of my prior visits, I've had one of their savory crepes and fell in love with their delicate bechamel sauce so something with that in it is on my list tonight.

My Le Bol Cafe Au Lait experience at first is a bit strange. A huge bowl of frothy and milky coffee. Hmm, how to drink this? Do I pick it up with both hands or just one hand? First instinct has led me to pick it up with two hands, seemed barbaric but it worked for the time being. Sumptuous croque monsieur on a bed of simple salad came along and stole the scene. Yes, as simple as it may sound, everything is well prepared, executed and served. Croque Monsieur had layers of ham and bechamel sauce inside two toasted slices of bread with melted gruyere cheese on top.

As the night slowly floated away, I began to notice that I was holding the huge cup with just one hand, fingers splayed underneath the bowl. Maybe, this is the way it should be held, because for a short while, I felt like I was in a chic Paris cafe, enjoying a good cuppa.

Comments