SAZL Sweats : Pork Loin with Crackling

I was given Gordon Ramsay's Sunday Brunch cookbook. Flipping through the pages is very much like looking into someone's scrapbook. The sections are separated into different themes. I was looking for something that I can use an oven to cook with, but with minimal effort and preparation. Pork loin with crackling is a good choice, so we went ahead with it.

What I did was also simple (and lazy if I might add), just rubbed olive oil, generous amount of saly and pepper. With the oven heated to 250C and ready, the loin was popped into the oven for a good 20mins. After 10mins, I can already hear the skin crackling. I was just a bit apprehensive that it's causing E's apartment's fire alarm to go off once in a while when I'm checking the skin. So, I realized it's called crackling because you can actually hear the skin crackle, which is pretty exciting.

20mins is up. I cranked down the temperature to 180C and waited for another 20mins. That's where I made my mistake. I didn't time the cooking of the actual loin properly, so it wasn't cooked through. E sliced the pork loin and we resolved to pan fry it. I'm careful not to fry the skin again, so to preserve some of the crispness. The result was not bad for a first time attempt at a piece of meat with crackling skin.
Skin, definitely has that crackle, just that the sides of the skin was not "crackled" enough. Meat is soft but not falling off when sliced. Several improvements can be made, like adding different herbs to bring out more flavor.

I think next time, it will be worthwhile to try pork belly...

Comments