Nice Dumplings @ Camy's Shanghai Dumplings

Dumplings are one of my favorite foods. Having eaten lots of these last January at my Aunt W's house in Taipei, I have many delicious memories of dumplings prepared by my Grandmother. I haven't scowered for Melbourne's best dumplings yet but a rumbling tummy led me to a laneway in Chinatown and into an old style Chinese eatery, known as Camy's.

Maybe, for most foodies, this is as authentic as you can get of an old style Chinese restaurant. The menu items are few compared to the other swanky, luxurious style Chinatown establishments. There were some items on rice, noodles and mostly dimsums and dumplings, steamed and fried, containing chicken, beef, pork, prawns and vegetables. Stepping inside, there is a certain old world charm but I'm here for the food. But then again, I'm here for the food.

I had the Chilli Oil Dumplings. This was how I pictured these dumplings in my mind: steamed dumplings with pork and chilli oil seasoning inside. But, noooo. It is actually pork dumplings in broth/soup WITH chilli oil on top.

I had a tasting of the broth and at first sip, I gagged from the chilli oil because it hit my throat immediately with the spiciness and I coughed fiercely. Lesson learned: don't underestimate the power of chilli oil in broth. Next, dumplings. Honestly, this is one of the best I've had so far in a Western country. Of course, there would be other dumplings in China that COULD beat this but for now, this is a cracker. They are small in size, considering the price which is really, really cheap, but the dumpling wrapper was thick enough and held very well without being soggy and has a good bite to it. The pork filling was also tasty without being too salty and since the dumpling was small in size, it fits perfectly into your mouth in just one bite.

I would like to try the other dumpling fillings, namely prawn/pork and mushroom/vegetables. Mmmm...no chilli oil the next time.

Comments