Malaysian Noodles @ Laksa Me, Liverpool Street, Little Bourke

The gang and I went out to lunch today. One of them complained that we always take packed lunches to the office every Fridays while the rest of the office eats out. OK. There were two choices: 39+ Pizzeria and Degustation OR Laksa Me both along Little Bourke. Being Asians, all votes went to Laksa Me.

We didn't book, but we still managed to get a table since we arrived early. Within some 10-15 mins, the place was packed. We ordered an appetizer, Mini Rolls. Hmm, I can't quite make of what's this dish is. To describe, it's minced meat and prawns wrapped in rice rolls and deep fried. Not as tasty as I wanted it to be or maybe my expectations of a deep fried spring roll dish is different from what's in Malaysia. The filling isn't as full as I would've hoped it to be and the sauce would be better if it were a sweet and spicy sauce as opposed to just a spicy one.

My dish is the My Mum's Laksa. When my bowl came, I can't see the noodles anywhere. It was submerged under all the broth. I pushed the noodles to the side of the bowl on a heap, so I can take a better picture of my meal. There were a few things in there, 2 pieces of chicken breast, 3 pieces of sliced pork asado, and 1.5 pieces of shrimp. That's all I can remember eating. The texture of the rice noodles was firm and silky, which I liked. The broth...hmm...I really don't know how to describe this. Maybe it's because of my lack of experience with all things Malaysian BUT I kept scraping my mouth/tongue for thin strands of lemongrass. The broth wasn't as rich as I thought it would be. I felt a slight bitterness as the soup slid down my throat which was not pleasant at all. The broth does smell good but the taste failed for me. Then, it could be just me...



Comments