Good Pappardelle @ Kojo Brown, Bridge Road, Richmond

I love it when you don't notice the time while window shopping and ending up having breakfast and lunch around one area. It's my first time at Bridge Road, amidst all the stores (with the Sale sign on). Truely, it's difficult to focus on just one store but for 2 months, I've been saving up for better food days. I've just had breakfast at Porgie + Mr Jones. As the tram whizzed by Bridge Road, my eyes wandered to Kojo Brown. After a couple of hours walking along Bridge Road, I walked back to Kojo Brown for lunch.

I'm battling between ordering one of the items from their brunch or lunch section. It's difficult because everything looked different and sounded good from first sight. I chose between potato fritters and the osso bucco pappardelle...the Italian won. Along with this, I ordered a flavored San Pelligrino Rossa which is a good palate cleanser.

Braised Osso Bucco Pappardelle - this is a good dish with delicious strands of beef in rich, red sauce. I can taste rosemary, thyme, oregano in the dish, with fair amounts of parsley as well. The red sauce is to die for, it's tangy and sweet but I think that there are better Italian places that serve up a mean osso bucco dish but for today, this one hits the spot. For a winter-y weather in the city, this dish brought me the warmth that I needed.


I admire the interiors of KB. It gave me the feeling that it's split up into three sections, from white to grey to black but it's not in anyway related to the colors mentioned. It must be the way the light played with the shadows in the cafe, where I felt that I was seated in the grey area, not too bright, not too dark.

It has that very grungy, edgy feel--almost punk rock. The bar was set up with fully-stocked alcohol behind it and I'm loving the chandeliers!

The red brick wall brought another dimension to the whole area, adding contrast to the trashy look mixed with the suburban style. Overall, Kojo Brown is a guy who listens to hard metallic rock music but lives in a country shack. I'll be visiting his home again. Potato fritters, here I come.

Comments