Fine Asian @ Ezard, Adelphi, Flinders Lane

My initial plan to go to Ezard was last April but got pushed back twice because of work. Finally, I got my chance to go to Ezard. I first stumbled upon Ezard at the Gourmet Traveller's Top Ten restaurants in Victoria. Since then, I've been making my list of restaurants to go to while during my stay. I haven't been to all yet. But after Ezard, next on my list is Bistro Guillaume but I digress.
Ezard is located at the basement of the Adelphi hotel apartment. At first glance, you wouldn't expect it to be at the basement. Walking in is like walking into a different world. Certainly dark wood for the dramatic effect, light chocolate colored carpets, white linen tablecloths on square tables with smooth dark wood lacquered chairs. My seat is along the grey sofa lined wall, with the tube shaped plush pillows which is very comfortable. I think it's one of the most comfortable dining places I've been to. Music-wise, it has a very urban vibe and music is a bit techno-jazz or music you can ignore. In front of me is a fully-stocked bar and cellar and at the end of it, is the kitchen. Not a comfortable spot for a kitchen but it produces many of the best dishes in the city.

Enough said. What's on the menu? Heaps of delicious Asian-inspired food. I can't really decide on which one to order, so why not have it all? I had their eight course degustation menu. Yes. Eight delicious bite sized dishes, should be signifying what Ezard is all about. First, wine, please. French, of course. I was served a chunky piece of sourdough bread with Australian olive oil and three dips. Black pepper and salt with bonito flakes, powdered spicy Chinese rock sugar, and powdered roasted szechuan pepper. I liked the one with bonito flakes the best, followed by the rock sugar. The szechuan pepper tasted like herbal medicine. First course - Japanese inspired oyster shooter with amuse bouche - As an opener and the only oyster dish on the menu, this certainly captured the very essence of Japan. Plump Australian oyster floating atop a shiny soup made from mirin and sake, topped with a "teardrop" of wasabi. As described by my server, the more you chew on it, the more you will taste the wasabi. The amuse bouche is a cube of daikon with lotus root and seafood broth. The oyster tasted briny and when paired with the shooter was sweet and clean on the palate. During the time you're chewing onto the oyster, you can taste its fresh metallic juices as well as the spicy wasabi.
Amuse bouche tasted familiar to me, like having a spoonful of rich, full flavored dashi soup.
Second course - Lime cured salmon with pickled beetroot, sour cream pannacotta, basil oil and yarra valley salmon eggs. This is one of my favorite dishes of the night. The sour cream pannacotta is not overpowering and tangy but creamy and extremely subtle. It blends well with the rich, sweet, earthy taste of the beetroots then the sleek, oily Tasie salmon. Every bite is just too good to last.
Third course - Seared canadian scallops with spiced pumpkin puree, chorizo and cumin caramel topped with hot and sour salad. Just when I thought things couldn't get any better, this dish came up. I love scallops and this one is just out of this world good, next to MoVida's seared scallop with potato foam. For me, in terms of taste, the chorizo didn't help that much but the creaminess of the pumpkin puree, the hot and sour crunch and texture of the salad and the sweet cumin caramel are just overwhelming but still delicate. I specifically loved the hot and sour salad. It is simple but packed a punch and elevates this dish up a knotch from the boring seared scallop with so-so puree.
Fourth course - Crispy fried polenta with sauteed mushrooms, crispy parmesan wafer, peas, poached quail egg and soft herbs. This isn't my favorite dish of the night. The veal jus was too salty and the sauteed mushrooms as well. However, the texture of the poached quail and crispy polenta made up for it. Chervil and dill added freshness to the dish.
Fifth course - Steamed mulloway with hand rolled rice noodle rolls, japanese plum wine dressing, asian mushrooms and xo sauce. Another good dish. Hand rolled rice noodle roll reminded me of ho fan noodles. Xo sauce was too pungent, so I scrapped some aside so that I won't blow my head off with the spice. The plum sauce, sadly, wasn't my favorite as well. Again, too salty and maybe it's just meant to be dipped. My impression was that the plum sauce is a broth instead of a sauce or dressing, which should be light and drinkable. Best part though was the steamed mulloway (except for one tiny bone that almost choked me) which was cooked well and moist.
Sixth course - Five spiced korubuta pork belly with celeriac and apple remoulade and mustard sauce. This is a piece of pork with a history. My server was very informative to explain to me that Korubuta pork is actually considered as extinct in the UK. It was brought to England as a gift from the Japanese during the 1980s. It is considered as a pork with a lot of fat, hence has a lot of flavor and keeps the meat moist as well. The mustard sauce was good with the pork belly and I also liked the combination with the caramelized apples. However, if you eat pork most of the time, you will feel that it's a bit gamey than the regular pork but the meat was tender and juicy.
Seventh course - Roast duck with green chilli and shallot sauce, stir fried silk melon garlic shoots, crispy sweet potato strings and coconut rice. This was the dish of the night. The coconut rice was creamy, rich and sweet which reminded me of a good homemade Thai curry. The slices of pink duck breast was sheer perfection--tender, silky and melts in your mouth. I could eat this everyday.
Palate cleanser of lime and vodka mousse with strawberry.
Eighth course - Dessert of cherry ripple ice cream with rosewater turkish delight. This dessert looked too good to eat. I wanted to stare at it for a while longer if it wasn't starting to melt away. Truly homemade and you can see the big chunks of cherries inside. Surprisingly, it's not too sweet and I can taste the cherries with a light vanilla flavor. Another surprise was that the rosewater flavored turkish delight worked well with the cherry ice cream. It's a comforting dessert which can replace any chocolate dessert anytime.

Peppermint tea and chocolate truffles compliments of the house.

Some details that I like to point out during my dining experience at Ezard that made it extra special, aside from the truffles, are the staff's attention to detail and small talk without being cheeky and snotty. I noticed that one of the staff offered a plush pillow to be placed on the back of a pregnant woman, to help her sit comfortably. The staff were also quick in offering to keep your coats or bags in a safe area, so you'll have more space to move around. They were also keen in giving recommendations in food and wine, and they do know what they are talking about. An example was when I opted for the degustation menu, I told my server that I'm allergic to pineapple and she quickly recommended to replace the dish with the seared scallops. The dish didn't disappoint. Lastly, this is the only restaurant where I get clean cutlery every time a course was served. Clearly, Ezard isn't just highly regarded for its food and ambiance but it's consciousness that their diners aren't just diners, but people as well. Kudos!

Comments